Monday, March 17, 2008

MIL asks for too much

From the comments:
i am a husband age 28, my wife age 25. both of us get a low pay as a government servant. my mother in law ask a her daughter(my wife) an expansive things that we cant afford. recently she ask my wife to buy a car for her. that reallly distrurbing my minds. Its affected me financially, mentally and emotionally. HELP ME!
Any thoughts for this poor young man?

This was my response:
you and your wife need to talk this over. if you can't afford what your mother-in-law is demanding, be honest and tell her that. is there a cultural or religious tradition that expects you to buy things for your mother-in-law? if so, you need to discuss together how you will break with that tradition. you must present a united front.
Any other ideas?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been financially helping my husband's parents for thirty years now. They never did any retirement planning. I told my husband we can't do it anymore because of our own retirement planning. We tried to find other resources for them and she got nasty. She's fine as long as I'm handing her cash. She was offended and her nasty pride got in the way. In so many words, says she doesn't need anybody to help them. Now I don't even talk to her. That was alot of money I gave her over thirty years feeding them. Ungrateful.

2/14/11, 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah... I am very frustrated today. I am newly married. I behaved well with my mother in law since mine is a love marriage and my guy loves his mom a lot. Because I love my husband a lot, I was a good girl to my mother in law. She has been smiling everytime to me and we were like good friends. Now after one and a half months of marriage, she is suddenly behaving like a mad woman shouting at whatever I do. She complained to my hubby that all I did till today was wrong and I am not at all doing any house hold chores. She added very silly things that I did not even think of doing. Now I understood she is such a mean and cheap lady. she has been holding grudges all the time and was throwing a fake smile where I was very casual and became fond of her. It hurts now. At least, my husband supported me!

4/3/12, 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home